- LIVING WITH LOW VISION
- GUIDE AND ASSISTANCE DOGS
You are here
Become an RSB Puppy Educator
We need volunteer Puppy Educators to provide a positive environment and training for our RSB Guide and Assistance Dog pups so that they grow to become an invaluable mobility aid and companion for a person who is blind or vision impaired, or people who suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
Who can become a Puppy Educator?
Puppy Educators come from a variety of backgrounds, including (but not restricted to) stay at home parents, those employed or those retired. Children and pets in the household are a plus as they provide good socialization opportunities for the pup.
What it takes
We provide all of the equipment required to make your pup feel at home, including food and bedding. All you need is:
- to undergo a police check, interview and property inspection
- pre-training before pup arrives
- to walk your pup at least once a day
- a safe and suitable area to toilet and exercise the pup
- the ability to take the pup with you to the shops, on the bus, or wherever you visit
- to not leave the pup alone for longer than 2 hours
- an area where your pup can sleep indoors
- to follow RSB guidelines in relation to training, diet and looking after the pup.
- ability to transport a pup safely
- able to attend regular training with RSB staff during business hours
- you must be over 18 years of age
With such important careers ahead of them, our puppies need a good start in life. We provide you with specialist training and support to assist you and the pup through the various learning stages.
Saying goodbye is never easy…So why say it?
We understand that a bond is created between you and the pup. But the ultimate reward for a Puppy Educator is to meet the recipient of the dog that you raised, at the graduation ceremony. Rather than say goodbye to a pup, wish it well on its next journey and say hello to a new pup!
For more information, please contact the RSB Guide and Assistance Dog Service on (08) 8417 5656 or email firstname.lastname@example.org